Sunday, November 18, 2012

My first half marathon

I did a lot of crazy things when I was a teenage. I rode a mountain bike and roamed around the city recklessly (a few close calls actually), climbed the Gunung Nuang (although I didn't really know the way up) and most memorable, ran a lot of 10km runs. I started this when I was in Form 2 and it got crazier when I signed up for a half marathon, covering 21km. It was the year 1991 RMAF Half Marathon. You may think if this was possible cause I could be too young for this. Yes, I was underage to participate but what the heck, I just put another date of birth to indicate that I was not a minor.

I can't remember much about the run, it was arduous, unlike 10km which you can finish it by running and rest a bit by walking, 21km was really killing. In the end, I gave up somewhere around the palace area cause I knew I would not make it within the required 2 hours 30 minutes time and hence, took a bus back to the finishing line at the Sungai Besi airport. I am still keeping the running shirt till today.


 
You will notice that Anchor beer was the main sponsor for that event and yes, there was free flow of Anchor beers waiting at the finishing line. I was too young for that as well but what the heck ...
 

No comments: