Sunday, August 23, 2020

Stuck gear

 After a long period of peaceful ownership, my Alza gave me a problem. After I shifted to D, the gear remained at D no matter what gear I shifted to. Hence, the car cannot be restarted after I made it home. Checked the youtube and surprised to note this is a common issue for Alza and Myvi automatics.

What happen was that there is a bush or grommet connecting the gear selector and gear shift cable. It's made of plastic, brittle over time and disintegrated. Hence, whatever gear you select no longer work as the gear shifter is disconnected from the gear box. According to a youtuber, Proton cars generally has a retaining clip but not the in Perodua cars which is not proper as most people will just ask for a tow truck if this happen. Worst still if some dishonest foreman may con anyone that the gear box has failed and will quote a repair bill in thousands. 

Then that replacement part. I thought it should be very cheap for a piece of plastic with the size of 20 cent coin. Saw it was selling at RM6 in Lazada but I can't wait for shipment. Asked at the spare parts shop nearby and was quoted RM15 to RM25. That was insanely expensive.


In the end, I used some two way tape to fill that gap between the gear shifter and the cable and also a cable tie to ensure the connection will not be loose. 


To access this area, you need to remove the gear shift cover. You should pry open from the glove box side as it has a notch there which is covered by the glove box so if you happen to cause some dent when prying, it won't be too obvious. 


No comments: