Sunday, January 03, 2016

Clattering sound and bouncy ride

I was browsing through my previous postings and noted my complaint on the clattering sound from the engine. As an update, the problem was solved. I took my Alza to a nearby mechanic and after some brief diagnosis, the mechanic was confident that the sound was due to a loose bearing in the water pump. My Alza is my third Perodua car and I have never encountered such problem before in all my previous car ownership. Moreover, the car was still new. As I recall, the sound already started when it was at 20,000km.

Spent RM150 to replace the pump but the lesson I got was, never buy a newly-launched car model, especially if that model involves lots of locally-sourced components. Best is to wait for the facelift model after all the improvements have been made.

As for the bouncy ride, after much hesitation, I was convinced that the shock absorbers need to be changed. These days, the absorber doesn't just dampen the spring oscillation but is doing more than that. Symptoms like nose diving during hard braking, dipping completely down when crossing over road bumps and excessive roll during cornering are potentially due to worn absorbers.

All these symptoms were already glaring way back when it was at 30,000km, which was quite premature to me. Inserting the rubber between the spring reduced the suspension travel, but such measure only masked the problem, not solving it. And as a trade off, the ride was stiff. The stiff ride was still bearable driving in the city at slow speed on uneven surface but when hitting the old trunk roads with speed limit of 90km/h at some stretches, there was significant loss of traction.

So recently spent another RM500 on shock absorbers. Thankfully, the Kayaba Excel-G (fully gas filled) was bought at staff price, RM370 for a complete set and the rest was labour. The stock absorber was also fully gas filled made by APM. Got a quote from Perodua service center at RM700 for a full set. Not sure how much it would be at spare part shop but these days, with so many fake parts in the market, I wouldn't push my luck with cheaper bargains.

After changing the absorbers, I could instantly feel some support by the suspension but not stiff. No more full compression or complete dip down when crossing over road bumps. By the way, the rubber previously inserted into the spring was removed. Nevertheless, I still could not get back the ride comfort I got before installing the Advanti sport rim. So what's wrong with the rim? This will be my next problem to solve.

No comments: