Monday, January 16, 2017

Chassis reinforcement

I am a believer in chassis braces and they have always been my first modification in any new car, except for the Mazda 2. Perhaps, it could be due to the fact that chassis has never been a strong point in Perodua cars. Well, I always observe this rule to only modify the weak points of a car. Otherwise, you will spend a lot for a little improvement.

First upgrade was definitely UR bars, started off with the front strut top bar. This was a 2-point bar unlike the Kenari. It obstructed the air filter box a bit but could still access it. I installed this bar together with the bottom side bar. The feeling was fantastic. The front wheels felt more planted and more steering feedback.

After that, I proceeded with the 3 point fender bar. As for this bar, I felt a slight loss on steering feedback instead. Anyhow, I still think this fender bar is important as it should provide strength to the chassis against frontal collision. There was a plastic cover near the door hinge that need to be removed permanently to install the fender bar.

I was always impressed with Autofoam with its "invisible roll cage" claim. So, there I went for a starter package which cost RM980 and had it done on my Alza recently. 4 spray cans of Autofoam were used for this package and it didn't involve any removal of components or panels. Whole exercise was done underneath the car and engine bay for 3 hours. Basically, the foam was injected into the main frame of the chassis and suspension mounting points which were accessible from the engine bay, wheel arch and underneath.

Perhaps, it could be due to the fact that my Alza already had UR bars or it took some days for the Autofoam to expand completely as I could not feel any instant difference. The only improvement I could certainly vouch was the lower engine noise heard in the cabin, especially the air conditioner compressor kick in sound which was suppressed significantly by this upgrade. Still thinking if I should spend another RM2,000 for the pillars to be filled up. But one thing I need to consider is that this upgrade is non-removeable especially if I intend to sell the car later and wish to remove upgrade items for sale separately.

Apart from the above, I had also took the chance during my recent long leave to add on more bars i.e. room bar and rear top bar. Both of these bars were made with the right angles so that it would not obstruct the access to the rear hatch or took away significant floor space of the rear passengers. Neatly done with precise angle and discreet. These bars can be easily installed with a 17mm wrench but UR gladly did it free for me.

The current chassis feel is good for me. It felt like the whole car as "one piece" and everything is in harmony. It gives me the driving confidence. The wheel will continue to roll even after I lift off the throttle. Although there are front and rear bottom bars left to be installed, I do not intend to do so. If the chassis is too stiff, it will only reduce steering feedback, as I experienced in my previous Kenari. As for the rear sway bar, although it is likely to improve handling, it will also cause more vibration to be transferred from one side to the other. Anyhow, I am not so much into fast cornering any more. This is a family car after all.

No comments: